Wednesday, October 28, 2009

4 Pygmies Shows, what a thrill!!

Last weekend was a blast! Here's what happened...

Wednesday I drove to Birmingham, AL to see the Pygmies at Zen Night Club. I stopped off at Betsy's and we rode together to the bar. The guys were there already setting up a big light show. Zen bar is a neat place, and I swear that bar DOESN'T close! It was around 7:30 and Betsy and I decided to pick up some Krystal's for her for dinner, while on the way I ordered pizza for the band and had it delivered to the bar. Meat lovers, pineapple, and pepperoni were on the menu for the night. When we got back to the bar the band went to leave to change for the show, Zach, Betsy and me had a bit of our own excitement and headed a mile downtown to 5-points. We walked downtown to a couple of tattoo shops. If it's one thing I've learned with this band, what happens with the band... NORMALLY stays within the band. haha. After we got back to the club we met up with some local Pygmie fans, chatted a bit and anticipated the start of the show. The band was supposed to start at 10... but it ended up being midnight before they went on. I guess they were waiting for people to show up... it's a good thing they started when they did, cause if they were gonna be waiting for a crowd... they would've waited allllll night long. The show was fun despite the number of fans. I left directly after the show, they didn't end till 3:30 am or so and I was so tired!

I woke up Thursday to the sound of my cell phone ringing, it was Angel. He wanted to make sure he had the right address to the bar for the show. Rick's Cafe in Starkville, MS. I got up, showered, and headed west to Starkville. It was only a couple of hours from Birmingham, I can do that in my sleep! I arrived in Starkville a little later than the band. They were still setting up the lights. I ordered some chicken tenders from the bar, and talked with Jason about how his week had gone. He had just received a new video camera for his birthday from Cameron. It's amazing to me how excited he was with his new toy. He video taped EVERYTHING! We even reenacted the commercial with the pothole that says "Oh no, your tire's all flat and junk!" This line from the commercial never got old! After I enjoyed some of my dinner (the guys stole most my fries and some of the tenders) I relaxed at the bar with Angel and played some pool waiting for the band to start. I was hoping that the show would have more fans than last time, I think it did... but not by much :( Again, another strike out with the fan numbers! UGH! After the show I headed back to the hotel to change and on the way back to the bar I spotted Dep walking to the hotel in the rain, I offered him a ride... we ended up making a pit stop at the 24hr Wendy's drive-thru for a late night bite. I returned to the bar, grabbed up Cameron, took HIM to the hotel to get his Yukon, then headed back to the bar... again! The night ended with a trip to Huddle House with Cameron, Brad, Teen and John "Gumbo" Farrell on the cell phone. Apparently, Starkville, MS doesn't have a Waffle House. I went to bed at the wonderful Regal Inn around6:30 am.

Friday morning grossed me out. I guess because I was so tired the night before I had not realized how disgusting my hotel room was. Much like the last time we stayed at the "fabulous" Regal Inn, there were 6 locks on my door... but this time only 2 worked, there was no trash can, no hot water, no working toilet, no controller to the T.V. hair in the shower, sink, floor and a rather large toe nail clipping on the floor! EWWWW!!!! I headed out of the hotel, after my COLD shower, and met up with Angel. We ate lunch at McAlister's Deli on the way to our next rendezvous point, Monroe, LA. It was almost a four hour drive. But Angel and my conversation made the time past by slightly quicker. We arrived in Monroe, LA... what a great bar! It was called Hookin' Bull! It was a themed bar... WESTERN! Normally I would not appreciate the western motif at a bar, but this place was GREAT! It had everything from cow skin bar stool covers to a riding bull! They had the neatest disco ball... it was a saddle with the mirrors on it! It cost over $135,000. The bar is also very, very clean. The bartenders really work hard to make this place a fun time, and it shows! The band sent me on a run to get batteries at the local Wal-Mart, then I headed back to watch the rest of the set up. The band left to go to the hotels and Angel and I stayed at the bar and continued our pool match for the second night in a row. After enough alcohol, Angel found it to be a good time to test out the riding bull, don't worry, I recorded a video of the whole event. He didn't fall off, though I wouldn't tell him to quit his... night job ;) The fans started to worry me at first, most of the "fans" in the bar looked like extras in the movie Urban Cowboy. Slowly but surly they started to pile in like cattle, and the band took the stage. It was a great turn out! For some reason, I started feeling really sick the later the night got. I decided to relax side stage in a booth. I almost fell asleep... that tells you how sick I was! After the show I took Dep to Waffle House for some late night fellowship. He got his food to go, and took it back to the hotel to relax. I drove back to the bar to see how far along the band was from being done. They were putting the last cases in the truck. Again, feeling sick, I went outside to get some fresh air. It only made it worse, I tried everything I could to not get sick near the guys... I failed. I didn't realize Christeen and Chris were standing by the van. You would think seeing someone sick and not feeling well would bring out a "Softer" side of Christeen, but it didn't. He DID laugh at me, and let Chris know how funny I looked leaning over the sidewalk. GUYS! UGH! I drove myself to the hotel, Christeen didn't want me to throw up on him in the car. We then headed to Waffle House... this would be twice in one night for me, lol. I didn't eat, in fact, the thought of food made me feel bad. The night didn't get any better back at the hotel. I went to sleep around 7 am, but woke up every hour because of my illness.

My only hope was that Saturday I would wake up refreshed and ready to take on the day... I was wrong. Still sick, I called Cameron to see where they were. The band was eating a nice sit down meal at the local Shoney's, one of Dep's favorites. I picked up Angel and headed there to join them. I ate some fruit and drank some water... that was all I could handle. Angel rode with me to Baton Rouge, LA... Walk On's was our new destination. I stopped half way there and made him drive... the nausea had not subsided and the driving was making it worse. I slept the rest of the way to Baton Rouge. Unfortunately, our time was perfect and horrible at the same time. The LSU home game was one hour till kickoff. Trying to get to the bar took almost an hour. In the mean time, I got sick...again, in my own car, in the passenger seat, while Angel was stuck in traffic... awful!!!! We made it to the bar in time to watch the end of the Alabama game, Roll Tide! Then the guys started to set up in the MASSIVE tent outside. I sat quietly in a chair and tried nursing my headache. Chris took care of me, got me some water, and some Goody's powders. I slowly snapped out of the sickness! Angel and I headed to Quizno's and talked to the band Another Hero. They had been playing in town all weekend. I made a trip to get blow pops and headed back to the bar and waited for the band to start. JD and his son decided to grace us with their presence! For those of you who don't know them, they are the Pygmie guru's for t-shirts and websites! So be ready for some NEW shirts at your next Pygmies show! The show was a SMASH hit! Lots and lots of people! After the show I waited for the guys to break everything down and chatted with John "Gumbo"Farrell on the phone. We had to drive out of town to find a hotel. About 30 miles south we found ourselves at a Days Inn in Hammond, LA. Not a bad stay. I took a long, hot shower, then headed to bed. It was almost morning.

Sunday was surprisingly a lot of fun. Normally I dread the last morning, it's usually me, dragging out of bed, brushing my teeth, and crawling to my car to make the LONG drive home. This time was different, I woke somewhat refreshed... or as refreshed a person can be for only having 4 hours of sleep. I packed my car with my bags and drove to IHOP with the band to enjoy a nice meal before driving home. They had a much longer drive then I did, about 7 hours. I headed home after we ate, and made it back to my place around 4 pm. As I laid down on my couch I day dreamed of the next weekend, and what exciting adventures it would bring. You just never know with these guys!

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment